Z Yoga + Activism: A Three-Week Series
4/8-4/22 - Only the first day will appear on the calendar.
Based on the book Skill in Action: Radicalizing Your Yoga Practice to Create a Just World by Michelle Cassandra Johnson, we will discuss what skill in action does and does not look like, how to make an impact in your community, and how dominant culture affects us all. Yoga beginners welcome.
- Deepen our understanding of the current state of yoga in the West
- Learn how dominant culture impacts and distorts our practice
- Explore the principles of justice and activism present in yoga
- Book discussion
- Gentle yoga
- Pranayama (breathing exercises)
- *Participation in all aspects of the class (postures or discussion) is not required.
This series is about taking action. That said, a little action is required for participation. Skill In Action is an 86 page book and required reading. You can purchase this book online. If you need to borrow a copy, let us know.
- Read pages 1-27 by Week 1 (4/8)
- Read pages 29-43 by Week 2 (4/15)
- Complete book by Week 3 (4/22)
- Mat (we have extras to borrow)
- Any props you'd like